My Blog List

Monday 4 July 2011

Castles on my doorstep

Yesterday was such a lovely, sweet day from start to finish, don't you just love those times.It started when i looked out the back door & this is what i saw..................................


It was beautiful blue skies all the way, i was in good form right from the start, as was Ella, it meant outdoor eating, nice walks & a generally pleasant day was on the cards :)

We had a lovely pastor visit us from Florida, he spent a good part of the day with us before flying back stateside this morning, so some local attractions were a must.

First though we indulged in tasty quiches & salads, washed down with pink lemonade,  I LOVE pink lemonade, pity it can be a bit too pricey to have it as often as i'd like "DAILY".

Dessert was coconut pie & coffee of course, i'm a real coffee lover, , CANNOT start the day without one, in fact i get quite cranky, not nice, not nice at all !!!


The recipe for the coconut pie comes from "Bake" by Rachel Allen, lovely book, great recipes & very simple!

Off we went to Bunratty Castle which is literally a two minute drive from our home...........


There's a beautiful folk village at the rear of the castle, which is a reproduction of the houses of the period, unfortunately we arrived too late to get inside :( was so disappointing as our american friend was fascinated to see it!!


Here's a snapshot through the gate......................... Next was Dromoland Castle also on our doorstep, bout seven mins by car, very different to Bunratty not as old but quite a bit bigger with gardens & ducks to feed..







As well as the castle itself on the grounds there is fishing, archery, hunts, golf & my favourite a beautiful walled garden, I'm just going to let the pics speak...............
















So pleasant just to stroll around, time kinda stands still in these places, you know, you could stay all day !!!
I took so many more photos but i hope you enjoy this selection. It really was a sweet day.

To finish off i went back to some crochet, now i know i'm currently working on three different blankets, buuuuut when i saw this Giant Granny Challenge on Lemonde de sucrette I could not resist..... sooooooo i started number four... nuts right!!


Anyhoo, I do solemnly swear to finished at least two of these over the summer months, I've eighty one squares done on the summer blankie, almost halfway, so thats a definite for september & this one :) :) :)
Right its a lovely day outside so my  garden is hollering for me, &" bring your crochet"  its says!
Thanks for dropping by, have a lovely day
Lots of Love Karen X

6 comments:

Tillyflops said...

Hiya, Karen, many thanks for popping by.Your photos are simply beautiful.The coconut pie looks delicious, pity im on a diet lol. Best Wishes. Gael.xx

Pammy Sue said...

Wow...cool castle pictures! I enjoyed seeing those. Very romantic and makes my imagination go wild. The coconut pie looks delish!

I saw that Granny Challenge on Sucrette's blog too. I was tempted, but I'm already working on a Granny blanket and decided to make that one and just watch everybody else make their giants. Looks like you've got a nice start.

Maria - A Playful Stitch said...

I love the colours in your giant granny square - so pretty! Maria x

sara said...

Those are beautiful images of where you live, how lovely to have such fantastic places to visit on your doorstep.

You've made a good start on your crochet challange..........good luck.

lily x

Leah said...

That is the most stunning post! Beautiful castle pics (so jealous as I think we have one castle in the whole blimmin' country here!!). I'm going to go back and have another look at them all - gorgeous.

Solstitches said...

What a fabulous picture show!
You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area.
I love stately homes and castles and would be fascinated to see the interior of the folk village cottages.
The pie looks delicious and happily I have that book so am going to look it up although with just two of us at home I hardly dare make it :)
Love the giant granny and all the other hand made things you show on your blog.
Happy weekend,
Margaret